We are a little less than a month away from the 2018 Global Roundup conference and the excitement here at 3 Day Startup is building. This year we are welcoming attendees from over 9 different countries. Entrepreneurs from Austria, Japan, France, South Korea and beyond will convene at Capital Factory for 3 days of learning and networking. Emerging entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to advance their startups and learn how to tackle challenges head-on.
We can’t wait for everyone to explore workshops and learning opportunities at Global Roundup, but word on the street is that Austin, Texas has some fun up its sleeve too. Not only has Texas ranked the #2 state in the country for start-up activity in 2017, but the city of Austin was ranked the #1 place to live in 2018! Can you say the perfect place to be?! For all of you joining us in Austin, TX we wanted to give you the inside scoop on the best places to stay, spots to get work done, restaurants to eat at, and fun things to do while in town. Compiled by the 3DS team, here is your Austin City Guide:
STAY: Austin has plenty of big hotels to choose from, however, we suggest checking out the local hostels in town for a unique stay. We guarantee you’ll meet some great people and experience the “Keep Austin Weird” motto. Plus, staying at a hostel offers a budget-friendly option. Check out:
- Native Hostel – Located at 807 E 4th St, Austin, TX 78702 Native Hostel is relatively new to the Austin Hostel scene, but since opening in May 2017 it has become one of the coolest spots in Austin. With a full-service restaurant, bar and lounge this spot won’t disappoint.
- Firehouse Hostel – Located at 605 Brazos St, Austin, TX 78701 Centrally located in downtown Austin, and right across the street from Capital Factory, Firehouse Hostel was originally built in 1885, housing the first fire station in Austin.
- Drifter Jack’s Hostel – Located at 2602 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705 Here you’ll find murals painted throughout the Hostel by over 25 local artists.
EAT: Let’s Taco-bout the Austin food scene….Tacos for breakfast, tacos for lunch, tacos for dinner, tacos all day everyday. We aren’t kidding, people really like their tacos here. Our team member Maia suggests eating at Veracruz All Natural. His favorite is the Migas Tacos. Once you are all taco’d out, our other favorite spots include:
- Homeslice Pizza: Located at 1415 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704 Authentic New York Style Pizza by the Slice or Pie! Located in Austin’s trendy SOCO district, snap a pic by the “I Love You” mural after indulging in the pizza.
- The Picnic at Barton Springs: Located at 1720 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704 – You don’t want to miss eating at one of Austin’s many food trucks. Stop by the Picnic on Barton Springs Road, with options for everyone. Four Brothers ATX Venezuelan food is a top pick; Cami suggests Phad Thai at Coat & Thai.
- Bouldin Creek Cafe: Located at 1900 S 1st, Austin, TX 78704 Offering great vegetarian and vegan food on quirky South 1st. Great for breakfast and lunch.
- Cooper’s BBQ: Located at 217 Congress Ave, Austin TX 78701 You can’t come to Texas and leave without trying Barbecue! Cam suggests Cooper’s Old Time Pit Barbecue.
- Juiceland: Grab a freshly made juice or smoothie at one of the many Juiceland locations. The Texas heat in July will have you craving this refreshing healthy treat. Shayna suggests the Soul Boulder to get some of your daily protein in!
EXPLORE: Austin is known as the Live Music Capital of the World, so for all you music junkies – you won’t ever miss a beat here. A crowd favorite venue in Austin is Stubb’s BBQ offering a great outdoor music venue. Walk into any bar or restaurant and we guarantee you’ll find some amazing musicians. For other fun outings visit:
- Barton Springs Pool: Located at 2131 William Barton Dr, Austin, TX 78746 This is Austin’s all natural gem. Barton Springs pool offers the ideal place to cool off in the Texas heat. Fed from an underground spring with an average temperature of 68 degrees, and measuring three acres in size, Barton Springs is guaranteed to make you feel rejuvenated.
- Blanton Museum of Art: Located at 200 E. MLK Jr. Blvd, Austin, TX 78712 Situated on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin, the Blanton has over 18,000 works in it collection. Make sure to check out the famed Ellsworth Kelly Austin exhibit, an extraordinary experience. On the third Thursday of each month, the Blanton remains open until 9pm and hosts a variety of free programs. Check it out on July 19th.
- Austin Central Library: Located at 710 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78701 The new central library is any design and architecture lovers dream. Offering over 6 different floors to explore and a rooftop terrace overlooking Lady Bird Lake, visitors are sure to find a unique spot to read, work or catch up with friends.
- Rainey Street Historic District: Once a quaint neighborhood street, “Rainey” has transformed its historic homes into bars, restaurants, and live music venues offering a laid back evening of fun.
- Antone’s Nightclub: Located at 305 E 5th St, Austin, TX 78701 Owned by 3DS Alum Will Bridges, Antone’s is Austin’s “Home of the Blues.” Originally established in 1975 and revived in 2015, check out this spot which has brought Austin a variety of musicians from across the country.
WORK: We know the startup life is non-stop day and night. Perfecting your pitches and business plan requires the right environment to get things done. Check out our favorite local community coffee shops for getting business done:
- Houndstooth: Located at 401 Congress Ave #100c, Austin, TX 78701 Offering 3 Locations in Austin with some dam good coffee.
- Flat Track Coffee: Located at 1619 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78702 Bike shop and coffee shop all in one located on the east side!
- Mañana: Located at 1603 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704 Located in the chic South Congress Hotel.
- Stonehouse: Located at 1105 S Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78704 Serving our favorite Tacodeli in a historic Dawson stone house turned coffee shop.
- Bennu Coffee: Located at 515 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704 24/hrs for all you night owls.